Members of the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture Student Board are a select group of undergraduates who partner with the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture (HMSC) to explore student needs, ideas and initiatives. The HMSC Board will meet under the guidance of the HMSC/HMNH Education Director, and will generate and drive engagement opportunities with the student body as HMSC seeks to enhance its impact on the student experience at Harvard.
Each meeting of the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture Student Board will include time with a different faculty or HMSC staff member as well as a rich discussion about specific ways to increase student engagement with HMSC. Initiatives during the year may include creating a signature student event at one of the museums, generating ways to connect museum public programs to undergraduates, connecting with interested student groups, identifying effective social media approaches for the museums or additional ideas generated by the student board.
The HMSC museum partnership was established in 2012 to develop a strong, coordinated public face for the six museums that are within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard:
- Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments
- Harvard Museum of Natural History
- Harvard University Herbaria
- Mineralogical and Geological Museum
- Museum of Comparative Zoology
- Harvard Semitic Museum
- Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology
Spring 2017 meetings will be on three Monday evenings, dates TBD, from 6-8pm. Dinner will be provided. The time commitment is approximately 10-15 hours per semester with the opportunity for deeper involvement on projects of interest. The HMSC Student Board involves a commitment for Spring and Fall 2017. Fall 2017 dates will also be Mondays, dates TBD.
Criteria for excellent Harvard Museums of Science & Culture Student Board members:
- Undergraduate student at Harvard College (Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors)
- Enthusiasm for the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture
- Creative and engaged with student life at Harvard
- Proactive and reliable team member
- Represent a variety of concentrations and interests
Student Board members will:
- Serve as your House or Freshman Yard representative of the museum
- Explore and develop engaging museum activities
- Consider novel connections to the university community
- Participate in networking and thoughtful conversation
- Gain an insider perspective on Harvard museums
- Submit resume – please include your year, contact info, concentration, and House.
- Submit a cover letter explaining how you meet the criteria for the HMSC Student Board.
- Applications due Monday, February 6, 2017
Email to Wendy Derjue-Holzer, HMNH Education Director, at email@example.com
Current HMSC student board members are encouraged to re-apply and should use the process outlined above.