Reports to: Supervisor of the Day
The Harvard Museums of Science & Culture are dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – including fostering respect for all, serving the greater good, and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. To learn more about HMSC’s mission, objectives, and core values, please visit our website https://hmsc.harvard.edu/.
Serving as the front-line staff for the Harvard Museums of Science and Culture, the Visitor/Customer Services Representative will provide the highest level of customer service to ensure that all museum visitors have a positive experience. Welcomes visitors and groups, processes admissions and shop sales, and conveys general museum information to the public in a professional manner. This is an on-call/on-demand position and will not have a consistent or guaranteed schedule.
Visitor Services Responsibilities
- Greet visitors and provide introductory museum information including wayfinding and exhibits information.
- Direct incoming calls and respond to inquiries from the museum’s general information phone line.
- Assist with processing school and commercial group visits.
- Perform day-to-day shop operations in an effective manner. Includes processing sales and returns according to established policies and protocols.
- Convey product information in an effective way to promote sales and the educational relevance of the products.
- Ensure that the shop maintains a neat appearance and all retail spaces are organized including cash register areas, sales floor, and stock areas.
- Assist in unpacking, receiving, pricing, and replenishment of stock on a timely basis.
- Uphold HMSC and University Information Security and Credit Card Compliance policies.
- Provide visitor assistance and information on an array of museum-related topics including exhibits, wayfinding and building amenities, membership and programmatic offerings, and general Harvard and departmental information as appropriate.
- Perform transactions on a computerized POS system. Requires attention to data accuracy, knowledge of established departmental policy and procedure, and effective use of the system.
- Balance daily receipts using POS System including deposit preparation and related documentation.
- Assist with basic opening procedures of the museum daily including reporting for work on a timely basis and awareness of current issues that affect the public.
- Assist with basic closing procedures including assisting clearing the galleries of visitors, daily accounting, and reconciliation, and securing the main entrance.
- Report any physical plant or operations issues to appropriate staff on a timely basis.
- Respond to public safety issues and emergencies as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- One year experience in a public-facing role.
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, computer aptitude, punctuality, and a positive, team-oriented approach.
- Familiarity with operating a computerized cash register.
- Demonstrated proficiency in accomplishing multiple objectives in a fast-paced, high-volume atmosphere.
- Attention to data accuracy and adherence to established departmental policy and procedure.
- Interest in museums helpful.
- Weekends and some holidays required.
- Additional language skills a plus.
Other: The Harvard Museums of Science and Culture (HMSC) is a partnership of public museums in Harvard’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences that includes the Harvard Museum of Natural History, the Harvard Museum of the Ancient Near East, the Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments and the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to the Director of Operations, Kevin Ebert at firstname.lastname@example.org.