Free Special Event Open to the Public
On the longest day of the year, explore the world and have fun at the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture's Summer Solstice Celebration. From 5:00–9:00 pm, enjoy free admission to four museums: the Harvard Museum of Natural History, the Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, the Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, and the Harvard Semitic Museum.
Start off with a visit to our new and permanent exhibitions:
- Admire Harvard’s internationally acclaimed “Glass Flowers." This stunning collection of hand-crafted plant models was created by Czech glass artisans Leopold and Rudolf Blaschka.
- Learn how scientific instruments have influenced the development of astronomy, navigation, physics, biology, medicine, electricity, and communication in Time, Life & Matter.
- Explore more than 600 objects from Asia, Oceania, and the Americas in All the World Is Here: Harvard’s Peabody Museum and the Invention of American Anthropology.
- Discover how ancient Near Eastern kings commemorated their military triumphs and civic achievements in From Stone to Silicone: Recasting Mesopotamian Monuments.
Then step outdoors for a host of fun activities:
- Make a summer crown with fresh flowers and greens to wear during the event.
- Marvel at circus performers.
- Enjoy tasty treats from the event food trucks.
- Enter the Solstice Raffle to win HMSC museum memberships and special gifts from our museum shop.
Join us for this festive community evening! In case of rain, the event will move inside the museums.
Free event parking will be available at the 52 Oxford Street Garage. Please note that Divinity Avenue will be closed to traffic during the event.
The Harvard Museums of Science & Culture are an 8-minute walk through historic Harvard Yard from the Harvard Square MBTA Red Line station.
Time: 5:00–7:30 pm
Location: 11 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Activities are appropriate for all ages. In case of rain, activities will take place indoors (check printed schedules at museums for final locations).
Design your own summer crown with seasonal flowers, garden greens, and ribbons (while supplies last).
Stay tuned for the final performance schedule and list of food trucks!