Are you good at helping people? Do you want to work in a fun, interesting environment? The Harvard Semitic Museum and the Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments are looking for hard-working, dedicated Harvard students for our front line staff. If you enjoy working with people, then this may be the job for you!
The Visitor Services Attendant (VSA) provides the highest level of customer service to ensure that visitors to both museums have a positive experience. As the first interaction that visitors have with the museums, you will be integral to helping visitors feel welcome and comfortable as they enjoy our exhibits.
VSAs are responsible for:
- Greeting visitors and providing assistance and information on an array of topics including exhibits and general wayfinding and building amenities
- Providing a welcoming presence
- Monitoring visitors in the galleries
- Maintaining accurate counts of museum attendance
- Directing incoming calls and responding to inquiries from the general information phone line.
- Handling cash and check transactions at the museum shop
- Opening and closing of galleries, including securing gallery spaces, turning on lights, and ensuring that all print material is fully stocked
- Providing logistical support for events and lectures
You’re Good At:
- Talking with people and solving problems
- Being on time, reliable, and professional
- Committing to a regular schedule
- Shifts will be at both the Harvard Semitic Museum and Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments
- Previous experience in museums, archaeology, or history a plus.
- Shifts are typically 3 hour slots between 10:45 AM and 4:30 PM, Sunday through Friday, including during Harvard breaks.
- Pay rate: $13/hour
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to the Visitor Services Student Coordinator, Colleen Sutherland, at Sutherland@hmsc.harvard.edu