July 3 - 11, 2017
HMSC Study leader: Janet Browne
Ship Size: Up to 48 guests
Pricing: Starting from $7,645 child, $8,175 teen, $8,675 adult
Co-sponsored with: Harvard guests will be sharing the cruise portion with independent travelers
Begin in majestic Quito and the Andean Highlands strolling through Quito’s colonial Old Town, spacious plazas, and baroque Cathedrals. Travel to the Highlands to experience one of South America’s oldest ongoing artisan markets, followed by a traditional Ecuadorian lunch at an historic hacienda in the countryside. Next, embark on an exclusive journey through the Galápagos Islands aboard the luxurious yacht La Pinta for five days and four nights. Be amazed by the natural wonders of the Galápagos archipelago, seeing flora and fauna indigenous only to these mysterious isles. Hike on pristine beaches and lava flows, snorkel among brilliant tropical fish, and witness the habitat and preservation efforts of the giant Galápagos Tortoise. Leave enchanted by the unique landscapes of these islands, source of inspiration for Charles Darwin’s Origin of the Species, after gaining insight on the fragility of the world’s ecosystem and stewardship for the future.Trip Highlights
- Explore the colonial city of Quito, a UNESCO World Heritage site, famous for its cobblestone plazas, gold-gilded baroque churches, and colorful buildings.
- Visit Otavalo in the Andean Highlands, home of the oldest indigenous artisan craft market in South America.
- Discover the unique beauty of the Galápagos Islands while sailing in luxurious style and comfort aboard the yacht La Pinta.
Schedule by day
- July 3: Depart for Quito / Transfer to hotel
- July 4: Andean Highlands
- July 5: Quito
- July 6: Fly to the Galápagos Islands / Embark La Pinta
- July 7: Galápagos
- July 8: Galápagos
- July 9: Galápagos
- July 10: Galápagos / Disembark La Pinta and transfer to the airport / Guayaquil
- July 11: Transfer to the airport for flights home
- Luxury Cabin Child: $7,645
- Luxury Cabin Teen: $8,175
- Luxury Cabin Adult: $8,675
- Luxury Plus Cabin Child: $9,545
- Luxury Plus Cabin Teen: $10,075
- Luxury Plus Cabin Adult: $10,575
- Luxury Cabin Single: $10,995
- 3 nights at the Swissôtel Quito
- 4 nights aboard La Pinta
- 1 night at the Hilton Colón Guayaquil
In Quito, passengers should anticipate walking over cobblestone streets at a leisurely pace. Although only 22 miles from the equator, Quito has a spring-like climate for most of the year due to its high altitude (9,252 feet). Passengers with sensitivity to altitude sickness should take proper precautions and consult with their physician prior to trip departure. In the Andean Highlands, passengers will visit an artisan craft market in Otavalo and walk on the grounds of a rose plantation at an historic hacienda. The Galápagos Islands are at sea level and temperatures range between the 70s and 90s F in the islands. In the Galápagos, walks are approximately one to two miles long (sometimes over uneven and rocky terrain) at a leisurely pace suitable for wildlife observation. There will be wet landings on many islands. Dinghy rides along the coast and shorter walks are available for participants as an alternative to longer and more challenging excursions. Daily activities vary, but include opportunities for kayaking, swimming, and snorkeling.
|Terms and Conditions||44 KB|
|Trip Brochure||1.19 MB|
|Registration Form||67 KB|